Why does it fade quickly & how to care for red colour
It’s no news that red hair is one of the most eye-catching shades you can get. With a wide range from auburn to burgundy, from just a few highlighted pieces to an all over color or a seamless balayage there is a look to suit every skin tone and personality.
As popular as red hair color is, it’s also known to be a high maintenance colour. One that fades out quicker than any other colour.
So why is it that red Hair Color fades so quickly and what can you do to keep it from fading ?
We know that once you find your perfect red hair, you want it to look vibrant, shiny and healthy looking, regardless if this is your first time or you have had it for decades.
So let’s look at why does red hair color fade so quickly
It’s a fact that Red hair will fade faster than most other colors. This is due to the fact that the red color molecule is larger than all other colors. Due to its size, the molecule is unable to penetrate the cortex deep enough. As a result the molecule sits on the surface and fades away with each wash.
Despite the fact that Red hair color fades so quickly, there is no denying that it is one of the most vibrant colours. So let’s look at some ways in which you can look after your gorgeous red hair and prevent it from fading so fast.
How to care for your red hair color
- Wash your hair less frequently : Less is more when it comes to washing your red hair. As mentioned earlier, due to the large size of the red hair color molecule, the molecule sit at the surface and wash away quickly. So to keep your hair color from fading fast, it is recommended you wash your hair every third day.
- Dry Shampoo: Make dry shampoo your new best friend. Use dry shampoo in the in between days this will keep your roots looking and feeling fresh and color intact.
- Cleansing Conditioner: If you are one of those girls that cannot get away with washing your less frequently, due to sports gym or any other reason, then include a cleansing conditioner in your hair care kit. Cleansing conditioners are extremely gentle and will not strip your color as much as shampoo will. Try shampoo and conditioner day one & four, then on day two and three use the cleansing conditioner.
- Avoid Hot Showers: When hair is wet, the cubicle swells up causing the red hair colour molecule to slip through. Hot water speeds up this process, so to minimise this avoid hot showers as far as possible. The cooler you can go the better.
- Keep Heat Styling Minimum: Heat application will cause the cuticle to swell and color to fade off, so keep heat styling to a minimum.
- Use Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner: Always use shampoo and conditioner that are designed for coloured hair.
- Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner: To keep your Red looking vibrant consider using a color depositing shampoo and conditioner ( do not replace your normal shampoo and conditioner)
- Use Heat Protection & UV protection : Just like hot water, heat in any form will cause the colour to fade fast. Always use a heat protection spray when heat styling and also avoid direct sunlight. Use a UV protection spray, hats and scarves are great.
- Avoid Contact with Pool Water: When hair is wet it will absorb whatever it comes in contact with first. So prepare your hair before jumping into the pool. Thoroughly wet your hair with tap water and apply conditioner before jumping into the pool. By doing this your hair will absorb tap water and the conditioner creates a barrier preventing your hair absorbing chlorine water. If you do not have time to do this, then use a swim cap.
Don’t let the fast fading nature of red hair colour keep you from trying it out. With a range of shades within this color family there is one to compliment you and enhance your personality.